"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

-Unknown

Friday, March 15, 2013

My serendipity dog - Part 2

Continued from Part 1

Well, back to dobies.  I restarted my search on Petfinder and Craigslist, even looking in all the surrounding states.  The closest doberman rescue was in Utah but they didn't have any dogs available.  Then one day in early August, I had a sudden urge to look at our local animal shelter's website.  I pretty much never went to their site to look for dogs, knowing they would never have dobes.  I was thinking to myself, I wonder if Mia (a dog we fostered) is listed on their site yet?  Maybe they'll have a dobe listed too, ha, ha, ha!

So I went on their site and WHAT?  THERE WAS A DOBERMAN LISTED ON THEIR SITE.  And his name was Diezel.  I immediately called the shelter and asked about him.  I was told he had been there about a week and had a few applications in.  I didn't care, I had to meet him.  I rushed B out of work and we hustled over to the shelter to meet him.

His name was Diezel!  That was a sign!  I had a feeling, this had to be it.  He needed to be THE dog.   He was going to be.  He just had to.  So we met Diezel in the outdoor kennel at the shelter.  He was a bit aloof with nervous energy, running around the kennel.  I brought Zoe out to meet him as well.  They seemed to be okay, though Zoe was not particularly interested.  B was not very impressed with him and felt that he would be too much for me/us.  I, on the other hand, had a great feeling about him and just knew he would be awesome.  I filled out an application for him but I didn't put much hope into it.  There were three other applications ahead of us...and it just wasn't going to happen.  Well maybe he'll get returned, I thought to myself.

I was bummed...if only I had come a week earlier!!  What also frustrated me was that the people who applied probably hadn't even put much thought into adopting a doberman.  They probably saw him at the shelter and said, 'OMG I've always wanted one!'  Yeah, I have always wanted one too, but I had actually been actively searching for one for awhile at that point.  So by the next day, Diezel had already been taken off their website, obviously adopted.  Sigh.  Back to Petfinder again.

I decided to start an application with a doberman rescue in Las Vegas.  I was continuing to peruse Petfinder and Craigslist every day but that particular rescue seemed to be the most likely option by then.  At the same time, I began researching German shepherds (B's favorite breed) and started thinking, well, why not?  I had fallen in love with herding breeds and their biddability.  Was I really ready for a dog like a doberman, who aren't exactly known to be the same way?  I told myself yes...I think so...but maybe I should give those GSDs some more consideration.

Anyway, things were moving along with the rescue I applied to and one final piece was getting a home check.  It just so happened the week before we got that scheduled, B decided to pull out a fence panel to fix it(!).  Of course that would take more than a day to finish up.  And the fires happened.  There were two fires going on at the forest and he started working overtime and on the weekends.  Bah!

In late August, I found a doberman named Zeus in animal control in Casper, WY (a high-kill shelter).  I called several times during the week to ask about him and decided to just drive down there to get him, sight unseen.  I was hesitant about him because he was being very reactive to dogs at the shelter (but that's understandable).  I requested the help of another dobie rescue, asking if I could pull him and foster for them.  If it just didn't work out at our house, I would find him another home to be adopted out to.  They were supportive.  So the morning I was to go, everything seemed to go wrong.  I was missing this thing, then that.  Banged my head, stubbed my toe, that type of thing.  You name it.  If it wasn't one thing, it was another.  I left much later than planned.  But finally I was all packed up to go, with snacks and everything.  I drove to the gas station and filled my car up.


Continued in Part 3...


No comments:

Post a Comment