"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

-Unknown

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Milo

For would be adopters:


Milo was abandoned at a truck stop in Idaho. A rescue group over there grabbed him out of the kill shelter and he made his way over to me for fostering. :) Milo is approximately 10 months old. He is probably a border collie mix (maybe with pit bull terrier?) and currently is about 25lbs but will fill out a bit more. I think he'll be a perfectly-sized dog -- not too big, not too small. He gets along with other dogs and my two cats. He is probably too playful for cats who aren't used to dogs though. He's not aggressive towards them but sometimes he'll try to get them to play.

He came to me untrained and unhousebroken. He's definitely a very smart dog. I've had him less than two weeks. He's got the housebreaking thing down pretty decently now, he can sit, lie down, touch and has the beginnings of spin and roll over. And of course, he knows his name. :) He's got surprisingly good tolerance for his training sessions being so young (I get a little carried away sometimes;). He is definitely very eager to please and listens to you when he realizes you're talking to him. I say this because sometimes he is bouncing around too quickly to realize you're asking him to do something (or rather, not do something;). This boy has lots of energy is always ready to GO! On the other hand, if everyone else is being pretty mellow and lazy, he seems to know this and follows suit. :)

Right now, Milo appears to be a velcro dog. No matter what, he always gets up and follows me around (oftentimes even in the middle of eating meals or playing with my dog). I think part of that might be he's still feeling insecure and worried I'll ditch him somewhere, so he may grow out of this. He definitely loves people though and I'm pretty sure he'll grow into a first class lap dog. If you don't like snuggly dogs that want to follow you everywhere, he probably won't be a match for you. He would make an excellent agility dog, as well as a running/hiking companion. If you don't have an active lifestyle and don't want to do much training, he might drive you crazy. Milo will really thrive on a good combination of training and exercise. If you have another dog he can wrestle/run around with, all the better!

This guy is really smart and willing to work, so honestly - I want him to go to a home that will really work with him and let him shine!  He probably shouldn't be in a home with younger children who also require a lot of time. I love dogs but I know this much is true - when it comes down to it, your children are much more important. For those with young children, I recommend adopting an older dog. Your stress levels will be much lower. I'm not trying to lecture or discourage anyone from having dogs. It just makes a lot more sense to get a dog that fits your lifestyle and if you've got young kids, you probably don't have enough time for a young puppy unless you live to be stressed out 24/7!


Edit - This guy was adopted out to a nice couple in Missoula, MT.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment